By Susan Haack (auth.), Jaakko Hintikka (eds.)
Jaakko Hintikka is the writer or co-author of thirty volumes and of a few three hundred scholarly articles in mathematical and philosophical common sense, epistemology, language idea, philosophy of technology, historical past of principles and historical past of philosophy, together with Aristotle, Descartes, Leibniz, Kant, Peirce, The Bloomsbury crew, Husserl and Wittgenstein. He has additionally been energetic in foreign scholarly businesses, such a lot lately because the First Vice-President of FISP, Vice-President of IIP and Co-Chair of the yankee Organizing Committee of the 20 th international Congress of Philosophy. He has been Editor-in-Chief of the foreign magazine Synthese and the coping with Editor of SyntheseLibrary for the reason that 1965.
Read or Download Aspects of Metaphor PDF
Similar nonfiction_10 books
Jaakko Hintikka is the writer or co-author of thirty volumes and of a few three hundred scholarly articles in mathematical and philosophical common sense, epistemology, language thought, philosophy of technological know-how, heritage of principles and historical past of philosophy, together with Aristotle, Descartes, Leibniz, Kant, Peirce, The Bloomsbury staff, Husserl and Wittgenstein.
Biomaterials: From Molecules to Engineered Tissue offers examples of the applying parts of biomaterials concerning molecules at one finish of the spectrum and complete units within the different. It covers molecular techniques in addition to molecules practical in getting ready and editing biomaterials, clinical units and structures, tissue engineering and synthetic organs.
- Evolving Geographical Structures: Mathematical Models and Theories for Space- Time Processes
- Biological Response Modifiers. New Approaches to Disease Intervention
- Cellular Drug Delivery: Principles and Practice
- Piety, Peace, and the Freedom to Philosophize
- Behavioral Decision Making
Extra resources for Aspects of Metaphor
4). Just as each noun plays a thematic role with respect to its verb, each word in a contrastive frame plays a contrastive role with respect to the contrastive relation. Currently the only contrastive sense relation we have implemented is "binary-opposition", indicating a polar opposition between two words. 11 The "binary-opposition" relation takes two contrastive roles, the positive role (labelled POSITIVE) and the negative role (labelled NEGATIVE). The contrastive roles POSITIVE and NEGATIVE can occur only in contrastive frames.
Or (b) When Sandy Koufax was young he could do something like throw a strawberry through a locomotive. (347) On the basis of the implausibility of these paraphrases, Tirrell rejects the comparativist (or simile) account of metaphors in both its reductive and nonreductive forms. " We can get rid of the 'like' altogether by asking instead how he would be, what traits he must have. We are not comparing Sandy Koufax with someone who can throw a strawberry through a locomotive; we are noting that he has a very fast arm and a very keen eye.
339) Some comments: Concerning (0), it is the occurrence of the parenthetical phrase "or prompts us to make" that scoops Davidson and other supposed anti-comparativists into the comparativist camp. Thus she is not only denying, as Davidson has, that metaphorical utterances express 26 R. 1. FOGELIN comparisons, she is also denying, contrary to Davidson, that, as a general rule, metaphors cause us to draw comparisons. Though she does not cite this particular passage, she would reject Davidson's claim that " ...