By Kirk Bauer, Nate Campi
No matter if you would like a community of ten Linux desktops and a server or a datacenter with a couple of thousand Unix nodes, you must know the way to automate a lot of the install, configuration, and conventional method management.
Build your community as soon as utilizing cfengine, and the community construct will paintings, with out person intervention, on any you wish. Automating Linux and Unix procedure management, moment Edition is exclusive in its specialize in how you can make the process administrator’s activity more uncomplicated and extra effective: rather than simply handling the method administrator’s time, the publication explains the know-how to automate repetitive projects and the technique to automate successfully.
* either new and professional pros will take advantage of industry–leading insights into the automation process.
* process directors will reach an intensive grab of cfengine, kickstart, and shell scripting for automation.
* After studying all chapters and following all routines during this publication, the reader should be capable of organize whatever from a Linux datacenter to a small workplace network.
<h3>What you’ll learn</h3>
See find out how to make alterations on many UNIX and Linux hosts right now in a competent and repeatable demeanour.
* easy methods to automate issues effectively so that you in basic terms need to do it as soon as, by means of leveraging the authors’ adventure in establishing small, medium, and massive networks.
* organize a Linux datacenter or a community correctly.
* discover dealing with real–world environments the place no longer all hosts are configured alike through a case learn of a fictional new datacenter buildout.
* research real–world examples for middle infrastructure providers (DNS, mail, tracking, log research, safety, cfengine, imaging) to construct on on your environment.
* comprehend middle approach management top practices, that are a key a part of how cfengine and automations deployments are defined within the book.
* the best way to make alterations reversible, repeatable, and proper the 1st time via interplay with product/application stakeholders (programmers, product managers, buyers, etc.).
<h3>Who is that this booklet for? </h3>
This ebook is for Linux approach directors who are looking to know about the software program and method to automate repetitive tasks—regardless of community or datacenter size—in one position. process managers also will locate it a lot more straightforward to contemplate community expertise and automation tasks in the event that they learn this e-book. This publication is additionally for somebody who's drawn to repeatable and safe infrastructure.
Read or Download Automating Linux and Unix System Administration (2nd Edition) PDF
Best unix books
If you're a developer or procedure administrator lured to Mac OS X as a result of its Unix roots, you'll speedy notice that acting Unix projects on a Mac is diverse than what you're familiar with. Mac OS X for Unix Geeks serves as a bridge among Apple's Darwin OS and the extra conventional Unix platforms.
Crimson Hat Fedora Linux secrets and techniques is still an exceptional instructional consultant that is excellent for instructing or studying purple Hat's renowned Linux product line. The booklet offers specified technical details on fitting and customizing Linux to be used with numerous sorts of pcs and peripherals. It describes how issues paintings behind the curtain and comprises information, ideas, shortcuts, and little-known proof ("secrets") approximately utilizing Linux for numerous real-world initiatives that diversity from studying UNIX instructions to developing a safe Java-capable internet server on your enterprise.
More and more, builders, architects, and undertaking managers face the problem of porting their C, C++, and Java purposes from UNIXR to LinuxR environments. Now, there is a definitive, start-to-finish advisor to porting purposes from trendy most generally used UNIX systems: SolarisT, HP-UX, and AIXR.
Outfitted round the examination goals for simple reference in the course of particular target concentration, A+ Certification Bible comprises large self-evaluation possibilities that can assist you ascertain what parts want extra research. entire insurance enables you to maximize the data, and tailor your examine in your personal wishes at any point of expertise.
- Linux Bible (2010 Edition)
- Grep Pocket Reference
- AIX 5L Differences Guide Version 5.2 Edition
- Check Point Vpn-1 / Firewall-1 on Aix: A Cookbook for Stand-Alone and High Availability Solutions
- Essential CVS
Extra info for Automating Linux and Unix System Administration (2nd Edition)
But even then, as the number of systems grew to five, six, and finally more than ten, he realized just how much time you can spend doing the same things over and over again. This is how his love of automation was born. This book’s other author found automation through necessity as well, although later in his career. During the so-called “tech downturn” around the year 2003 in Silicon Valley, he suddenly found himself the sole member of what had been a three-person system-administration team. The number of systems and responsibilities were increasing, while staffing levels had dramatically decreased.
After working as a physicist, he began to apply the methods of physics to the study of computers and eventually changed research fields to study the formalization of system administration. His current research interests include the behavior of computers as dynamic systems and applying ideas from physics to describe computer behavior. Mark is the author of the popular configuration management software package cfengine. ” He currently holds the Professorship in Network and System Administration at Oslo University College.
This is the first step in building a UNIX/Linux environment from scratch using automation. Chapter 6, “Setting Up Automated Installation,” demonstrates the automated installation of Red Hat Linux using Kickstart, Debian Linux using Fully Automatic Installation (FAI), and Sun Solaris using Jumpstart. The hosts deployed in this chapter continue to be used in the later development of our example UNIX/Linux infrastructure. Chapter 7, “Automating a New System Infrastructure,” covers the automation of these services and procedures in our new infrastructure: the Network Time Protocol (NTP), Domain Name System (DNS), standardized local account files and new user accounts, mail routing, and home directories mounted with the Network File System (NFS).