The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change” ― Heraclitus
This quotation was true of Ancient Greece and it is true for corporations and organizations in today’s world. Sometimes this change is external, for example:
- Government changes and decisions
- Changes in technology - 5 years ago Cloud computing didn’t exist. 15 years ago Facebook didn’t exist. 10 years before that the internet didn’t exist.
- Changes in competitor’s products and strategies – Just as Nokia was hit by Apple’s iPhone
- Changes in the structure of the population, and in consumer lifestyles and behaviour
And, sometimes this change is internal, for example:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Changes in Strategic Direction
- Layoffs and Internal Restructuring
- Entry into new markets
The reactions to organizational change though are similar – Resistance, Inefficiencies and even Chaos. Thirty years of research by leadership guru Dr. John Kotter have proven that 70% of all major change efforts in organizations fail. Why do they fail? Because organizations often do not take the holistic approach required to see the change through.
However, by following the 8-Step Process outlined by Dr. Kotter, organizations can avoid failure and become adept at change. By improving their ability to change, organizations can increase their chances of success, both today and in the future. Without this ability to adapt continuously, organizations cannot thrive.
Dr. Kotter has proven over his years of research that following The 8-Step Process for Leading Change will help organizations succeed in an ever-changing world.
Dr. Kotter is a world-renowned expert on leadership, is the author of many books, including Leading Change and The Heart of Change. He is the Konosuke Matsushita Professor of Leadership, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School, and a graduate of MIT and Harvard. He is co-founder of Kotter International, a leadership organization that helps Global 5000 company leaders develop the skills to lead change.
Watch a 5 Minute Explanation of the 8 steps by John Kotter.
And in order help organizations roll out the 8-step model, John Kotter International has developed the ‘Our Iceberg is Melting’ workshop
The workshop is facilitated utilizing a business parable of Our Iceberg is Melting. Our Iceberg Is Melting spins a global warming fable about Antarctic penguins to delineate strategies that any corporate community can use to survive and thrive in a changing business environment.
Why a parable? Many people don’t take time to read whole books and if they cannot assimilate information quickly and with an emotional hook, this important research might go unheeded. Parables are one of the most effective ways of creating paradigm shifts. Using this story as a backdrop, participants explore their own workplace and identify similar pressures, similar characters and similar threats. They are then challenged to develop habits and strategies that resolve these pressures and ripple positive results throughout their teams and departments
By attending this programme, participants will:
- Learn to apply Kotter’s 8-step process for successful change in your organization. Greater efficiency and a successful change effort means that the organization will save all the human and capital costs of a failed change effort.
- Be able to create a vision of the future that is compelling and helps people focus on the benefits of change. Know how to create and instill a profound sense of change readiness and agility within your organization
- Learn the steps to create ‘Leaders at all Levels’. The success of businesses today is characterized by leaders at all levels who take action when they see something that needs to be done. Having leaders at all levels enables businesses to be more adaptable to the constantly changing business environment.
- Learn how to form leadership teams capable of guiding change efforts effectively. Identify team member traits and characteristics needed.
- Learn the art of Getting Things Done! - Through others at all levels who seize opportunities and take initiative. Create a sense of Urgency around needed changes. Identify and remove obstacles that prevent people from taking action.
- Develop Communication plans and key messages that generate buy-in.
- Develop strategies for instilling a new culture based upon new ways of doing things.
Brief programme outline
- Learn the subtle intricacies of Our Iceberg is Melting
- Learn how to raise the level of importance of your needed change so that it gets enough attention.
- Create elements of a vision of what would happen if the change is achieved.
- Identify others whose skills, attitudes, reputations and support you need to get buy-in.
- Identify additional forces that will increase or decrease the likelihood of being able to achieve this change
- Discover additional changes that need to occur as a result of making the first change or to support it.
- Identify NoNo (negative) behavior across the organization and take steps to eliminate it
- Assess your current state and identify gaps that need attention in order to make change a reality
- Create a Team or Individual Action Plan that will keep you focused on how to achieve this change.
This programme applies to all employees and can be customized as per the level. We recommend that the managers go through the programme first, before their staff attends.